Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 4 - August 14, 2009

Hi!

I'm writing this in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Sadly, this may prove to be the most visually unstimulating blog of all time since, once again, I am unable to upload photos from the computer that I'm using. Apparently it is only slightly more advanced than the abacus, but not as user-friendly.

So far the trip has been AMAZING! Our first day, the 12th, we rode 436km from Arusha to Tanga, a town on the coast of Tanzania, north of Dar-es-Salaam. It was a fairly small town, but it was just nice to reach the Indian Ocean and feel the breeze off the sea. My young, lithe and undeniably taut body dealt with the rigors of riding that distance, and Dad held up alright, too, despite not having quite the Adonis -like physique of yours truly (I'm allowed this rash poetic license since I am thus far unable to upload contradictory photographic evidence).

Yesterday, we had a slightly shorter day at 355km, but it took the better part of an hour to manage the last 35km into Dar, since traffic was pretty insane. Ah, African traffic. I now count myself lucky to have to deal with Toronto rush-hour on a regular basis.

Dad had a very successful series of meetings this morning with the medical director and dean of the amalgamated health training facility here in Dar. Looks like there's some valuable information to take back to Rwanda, where they are attempting to establish the same type of facility.

Tomorrow we're off for a long ride; 455km to Dodoma, Tanzania, which is actually the capitol. Looking forward to it, but it's going to be nice and hot, since we won't have the cool ocean breeze to take the edge off.

So far no big setbacks, aside from a bent from rim on my bike (nothing too serious, photos to come) and a lost phone charger.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, I'll get back at you tomorrow when we get to Dodoma.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you’re doing well, despite you being top-heavy because of your massive pectorals. It’s also great that Papa’s meetings are going well and you guys are enjoying yourselves. I bet you got some serious yeti-back going on!! Am I right?!?!

    Stay safe and have fun boys!! Miss ya. ♥

    ReplyDelete