Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 1 - August 11, 2009

It's really happening. Dad and I are riding motorcycles 4500 kilometers around sub-Saharan Africa, through 4 countries in (hopefully) 3 weeks. I think we're a little bit crazy.

It actually seems real now, since I'm writing this from a safari lodge in Arusha, Tanzania, and we picked up the bikes today. So far everything seems to be unfolding as planned, without any real hitches or snags. The company we're renting the bikes from had them ready today and were happy to let us have them a day earlier than scheduled. This was welcome news to me since I've been spending the afternoon figuring out what it's like driving on the left-hand side of the road. Fortunately, the bikes we've rented are left-hand drive (couldn't resist!).

So let me welcome all of you who have meandered over tho the blog to keep an eye on what's happening with the ride. First of all, I want to clarify the name of the ride (and the blog). Kwizera is a Kinyarwanda (the local language in Rwanda) that means faith and hope. We thought that this was appropriate, since the purpose of this ride is to bring hope to the orphans living at Ngondo Children's Home, and we're going to need more than a little faith to make this journey. We welcome any and all donations to the Ngondo Children's Home orphanage, and if you haven't seen the flyer we sent around with the donation information and the route of the trip, I'll post it again when we get into Rwanda and I have access to my computer again.

As for the bikes, they're awesome. We're riding Yamaha XT 660 R's. They're pretty rugged, and actually look as if they might be able to traverse the roads that we're going to be riding on. We've packed light, and one of the bikes has a couple of panniers. Also, to out surprise and elation, we've been given a couple of GPS units. Now as soon as I can figure out how to change the language settings on them, I'll be able to stop practicing my German.

I can't post any pics today because, sadly, the computer I'm typing on is apparently of a classic vintage that was birthed prior to the evolution of USB. Go figure. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow will see some pics added for your viewing pleasure. Until then, thanks for reading, check back often, and keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We leave at 8am for Tanga, a small city on the coast of Tanzania. Looking forward to getting to the Indian Ocean and out from under the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro, where it's a little chilly. Yeah, living in the perfect climate that is Rwanda for 6 months has totally ruined me for anything less than pristine weather.

See you tomorrow.

Luke and Dave

1 comment: